Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Witness Monthly Back Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabudoy

MIS
Oct 21, 2003
DE
Hi does anyone have an idea if i could back-up witness by monthly basis?

Thanks

Hi,
What do you want to back up? postgres, calls, and from which plateform? CSCM?

I`d like to know what do you need to back-up. For your security... you must back-up the calls (the application do and manage it) and the application databses, because the calls.

Ufortunately the only thing you will find documented is how to perform a manual backup for the PostGres DB. I have a Nortel CR/QM install and 3 years later still no Backup procedure. How'd Verint say that "We are not in the Disastor Recovery business." I am curious though they claim to be a compliance product which means to me that they should, depending upon the law where server is installed. Be able to provide the ability to play these calls for 6 - 10 years. Isn't that the idea of the law so if someone says he said she said they could listen to the call, remove any doubt about what he said she said ? ? ? ?

You can either setup a SAN drive for calls or dvd-rw. Postgres as mentioned requires a manual backup. You can also use an Archive server, but you will need to know how to set up Campaigns for the archiving to the server and/or SAN.

Hope this helps.

Depending on the term "back-up" that is being used here, the method of backing up calls or databases would vary depending on the customer. In this case, I would say not enough information if provided to give a detailed suggestions. But the overall answer to the questions is Yes, you can backup the calls, the databases or anything else on your servers. Exactly how that would done would require more information. Personally, and logically, I think a general server back plan is sufficient, ensure my databases are getting backed up and of course your calls should be on an appropriate RAID setup for critical data. And I would not wait nor expect any vendor to tell me how to perform my backups. My 2 cents.

-Plausible deniability is not very becoming...

I'll chime in here and add that Verint offers an archiving option for the Recorder that allows you to save/archive/backup call recordings for as long as you have media (online or offline) to hold the files. Ans no, I do not work for Verint.

jgt98 your answer is a denial in reality. As in any Witness server application install you backup, as you also stated would be different per site. No to allude a simple plan shows your ignorance of how complex these installations are. In my situation I have a co-res install of CR/TDM, & Viewer which states quite clearly in Nortel NTP's you cannot do. Witness comes out and says you can do this. Then when you research what needs to be backed up there is a dearth of any information. When one restores a backup you want your application to work not just be useless data restored. There is only way to restore and that would be the correct way. How much you really know about this product is demonstrated in your comments. If your knowledge exceeds anything other than wanting people to look at your comment as being wise it falls pretty short if you ask me. kabudoy to really answer your question yes you would be able to backup on a monthly basis. Just remember this is not a simple backup. Many factors need to be considered, fact is that once your CR drives are full you cannot use an incremental as clearly defined in docs. To put it mildly you have Microsfot SQL you have to backup, you have a PostGreSQL database that needs backed up. Then you have enormous ammounts of call files. There is nothing simple about backing up this product. Then there is the Archive product you may need to contend with. Oh and by the way Witness finally did cough up a so called backup schema. Its really ugly half of its manual even what is automatically scheduled is recommended to copy off the server nightly. In my opinion for how much you pay for this product one should expect a clear cut backup plan provided given your installation so if the worst thing did happen you could restore to a working server in a reasonable amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back