Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Withdraw media from Scalar 100 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azakaban

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
GB
My backup job finishes and leaves the media mounted on the 4 drives in the Scalar 100. I can run an nsrjb -u to remove them from the devices. Is there a way to actually withdraw them into the mailbox instead of just dismounting them? I know there is a -w parameter but I don't know the volume name and as they are still mounted there is no slot number.

What you're describing is a two-step opetation.

The tapes can be unmounted from the drives back to the slot. The tapes should automatically be dismounted after a about 10 minutes.

The tapes can then be withdrawn from the slot to the mailbox.

Wallace88,
Thanks for the post.I am trying to schedule this with a background job so when the operators get in they can just remove the tapes from the mailbox. When the backup job runs it seems to use any 4 tapes of the nominated group that are in the library, therefore I don't know which slots to use as a parameter to the nsrjb command.

Hey - Mu suggestion would be to have a script run when backups finish that:

1) Unload the tapes (all script examples are for Solaris csh):

nsrjb -u || goto end

This will unload tape and abort the script if any could not be unloaded (you need an end section in the script)

2) Detrmine volumes needed:

set list=`mminfo -q "savetime > 12 hours ago" -r "volume" | sort -u`

3) Remove the tapes using nsrjb:

nsrjb -w $list

Hope this helps...

-ag100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back