Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

With so many problems listed,Questioning installing XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
I have been reading the problems the forum people have been having and am questioning if I should install xpp.

Have these problems been resolved with the SP1?

I have not used a CD to format, fdisk, or install xpp. What is the command I need to use to get rid of the win98se mbr? It has been a long time since I've done this, especially since I have not done this with xpp.

Any help or comments will be appreciated.

and many of us have problems because we screw around with windows xp

There is nothing (or not much) wrong with XP.
Mostly it is a hardware issue, or the user.

Go ahead and install.
To the 2nd question, when you boot with the XP CD, you can delete the existing partitions (BACKUP YOUR DATA !!!) and create a new one which will then be formatted before the actual install begins.

Good luck.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks to you both. I tried to get the link above but could not. I'll try again later. It gives me error ... could not be found. Check spelling, etc.

I don't mess with installations. Only after it is up and running do I make changes if needed.

I have xpp cd, a fat32 40BG hdd. I think I might partition into two, xpp on one and programs on the other. Maybe put swap on second too.

I don't want to use ntfs in case I have to go back to 98se.

Any comments on the command I asked about the mbr?

Just so you will know, the link above, no matter how I try to get it comes up with the same error. Evidently he closes down at night.

Thanks anyway all.

Been there half an hour ago .
Same for me now , maybe maintnance .

Just been there too, but you have click on it, don't copy/paste!

Thanks all. Sorry for the late reply. ISP was down for awhile. I finally got to the link.

No more help is needed. Kudos sent but tek-tips came up with wrong screen. Another glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back