Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wise for Windows Installer insists on "Advertising"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMINNICH

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
Hi, All;
I'm having problems with a upgrade I'm doing with Wise for Windows Installer. It uninstalls the old version of the application, installs the new version of the application (I can see the files in the folder), but when I click on the Applications Icon, it tries to install from the location of the MSI file. Even if I click on the EXE in the application folder it tries to install from the original location of the MSI. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Scott

Hi there,

The problem you describe seems to be the self-repair function of the MSI. When files that were distributed from the MSI change, the Windows Installer wants to rebuild the application! You must:
A. Remove any files from the MSI that are changed during use of the application. (think of initial database files etc..)
or
B. Go to your shortcuts section in your wise install builder, then select the application icon that you normally click to execute the application, and view the details. Turn off the "Advertise" option, and rebuild the MSI package. Microsoft Installer will no longer check the integrity of the application files.

Good luck.

Rotaran.

Thanks, but it still happens! More info... I'm not writing anything to HKEY_CURRENT_USER (I read that that can cause the problem). Any other ideas?
Thanks again!

Look in the event viewer for the component that is causing it to self-heal. This should be a starting point in identifying what files are causing this. You could find multiple components are an issue. You could also try moving all components to one feature as a quickie fix.

===>
kip

I'm using Wise for Windows Installer 5.0. Is there anyway where I can remain the files and database previously installed when I run an upgrade .msi? I just want to update the application (.exe) instead of all files and databases involved. Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Are your files and databases in separate features than your .exe(s)?

WfWI allows you to only specify which features to remove, it does not allow breaking it down to the component or file level.

You can specify which features to remove from your previous installation on a by-feature basis. From the Upgrade section in the Installation Expert, in the Upgrade details window, there is a section on the bottom labeled 'Upgrade Action'. Here, you can specify which features to remove (comma delimited).

Remember that regardless of which features you specify to move, file versioning rules still apply. For more info on this, search for 'File Versioning Rules' in the Windows Installer SDK Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back