Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wirless network drops when transfering files

Status
Not open for further replies.

angryspec

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
I've been having problems with my wireless network dropping. It happens regularly when watching video's or pictures from my laptop that are on a USB 2.0 external hardrive hooked up to my pc. I have a Linksys Wireless G router. I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop with a Linksys wireless card, and a Dell 4550 Desktop with a wireless adapter. I have WPA PSK enabled, and have DHCP turned off with static ip's on both computers. Is this caused by the router, or just because it is on the external hardrive?

Is there any interference from another router on the same broadcast channel?

I pick up a linksys default SSID every once in awhile, when i try to log onto it with the default password it will not let me on. I assume then that it not my router putting it out since i have never changed the password from default. In any case i have used the channel's 1,6,and 11 on the router to trouble shoot interference. I have also gotten rid of my 2.4 Ghz for the reason of interference. The whole wireless signal drops for my laptop when trying to watch movies over the network. Windows will prompt "cannot connect to preffered wireless network." I then repair the conection and all is well until i try to listen to music, movies, or look at pictures. Im starting to think it is a problem with either not enough ram memory in the PC, or maybe not enough bandwidth over the wireless.

Hi,
Ever tried changing the SSID of the router to a different SSID?Are you using a built-in wireless card or card from Linksys?Let me know about it.

Thanks!

I have changed the SSID from the default but have left it the same ever since. I am using a Linksys wireless notebook adapter WPC54G. The desktop has a WMP54G PCI adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back