Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphire125

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
GB
Is there someone who knows a good site for diagrams for the wiring of connectors (RJ45 ect) ports and patch panels.

Donald

The pinouts will never change since the TIA 568B is a constant. However, the actual punchdowns will change from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on how they designed the device. You will want to look at the manufacturer's site ot literature for specifics for their products.

However there are some good general resources:

Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

What is the RJ12 wiring schematic to configure it for regular home phone use (4-wire connection)?

This should be posted as a new thread, however: Use the middle 4 pins and wire it Black, Red, Green, Yellow.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Also, if your wiring is color-coded with blue, orange, green and brown pairings, then the understanding you need to have, first, is that the primary pair is terminated in the center, that is, pins 2 & 3. The secondary pair goes on the outside pins, pins 1 & 4.

With the USOC color-coding scheme, (green/red and black/yellow) the primary pair is green/red and the secondary pair is black/yellow.

These pairs have a "tip" and a "ring" conductor. The first conductor of the pair is the tip conductor, i.e., the green conductor or the black conductor.

With the "568" color-coding standard, the primary pair is the blue pair; orange is the secondary pair. Usually, the polarity of each pair (i.e., whether you have terminated it as green/red or red/green) does not matter these days.

Here the tip conductor is the white conductor of the pair, i.e., the conductor with the mostly white color and a trace color stripe that corresponds to the color of the pair. That would be the white w/blue tracer of the blue pair, the white w/orange tracer for the orange pair, etc.

Be aware however, that the source end of the cable may have your circuit of interest connected to any (!) of the available pairs.

Yours,
Mike

> on Oct 30, 2001 MWM wrote:
> Usually, the polarity of each pair (i.e., whether you have terminated
> it as green/red or red/green) does not matter these days.

Can I take this to mean that the following scenario will not fry anything, or have any other ill effects?

I ordered some custom cat-5 2 pair with rj-11 ends, for use as phone line in an attempt to improove line quality:
(specifically, line quality of the line that goes into a very finicky laptop modem)
(total of 4 cables with rj-11's on each end, to go from the far away wall jack to the laptop.)

I had them put the rj-11's on the ends rather than doing that myself specifically so I would not have to deal with trying to properly crimp with a round outer jacket and twisted pair.

When the wire arrived, the ends were reversed:
that is, the orange wire in
slot 1 of rj-11 (A) goes to:
slot 1 of rj-11 (B), instead of slot 4 in rj-11 (B)

the orange and white wire in
slot 4 of rj-11 (A) goes to:
slot 4 of rj-11 (B), instead of slot 1 in rj-11 (B)

the blue wire in
slot 2 of rj-11 (A) goes to:
slot 2 of rj-11 (B), instead of slot 3 in rj-11 (B)

the blue and white wire in
slot 3 of rj-11 (A) goes to:
slot 3 of rj-11 (B), instead of slot 2 in rj-11 (B)
====================================================

If this is really of no consequence, then I can proceed with the installation of the wire without first cutting 1 end off of 4 separate cables and putting fresh rj-11's on properly.

So, back to the basic question:
is the above reversal a bad thing, or can I save myself the effort of trying to crimp rj-ll's when I don't have the luxery of working with flat non-twisted wire?

If possible, I would prefer to keep the "fresh from the factory" ends on the wire.

Wexx
ps: should this have been a new question?
This is my first post.

If it is simply for dial-tone that will work fine. As was stated above polarity doesn't matter for DT. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back