Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring Residential Home w/12ft cielings

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottsi69

Technical User
Jan 23, 2001
US
I need to run a cat 5 cable from on room to another in a house that has 12 ft ceilings. At about 4ft & 8 ft in the walls there are cross beams which there are no holes to run my cable through. Can someone tell me how to get my cable down these walls ? Do I need a 10 foot drill bit or something ? There are no outlets or other passageways for me to run in either. This is a million dollar house and I cant be puttin any holes in the walls etc.... Thanks You for your help !

I did something like this but it did require small holes carefully cut on either side of the fireblocks. I used the holes to run a large bit through the fireblocks and patched the holes using the saved drywall "plug" I cut out. Just a bit of touchup with drywall mud and some primer/paint it looked like I never touched it.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I'm not aware of any 10' drill bits, but I do have a 4' drill bit. They may make 4' extensions for it...check Home Depot.

This assumes you have a tall enough crawlspace to work in, of course.

Good luck,
Jon

Consider a wireless solution, the owners of million dollar houses don't generally like the wall plate for the RJ45 jacks either. We have put a wireless solution in with a cable modem, putting 3 users on line. The selling point had to do with using the laptop at pool side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back