Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring problem? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

autoint

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2006
US
I'm helping someone with dry loop DSL. I'm trying to add a second line/outlet in an office. I ran 50 feet of common (flat) phone cable/wire (4 conductor): and terminated the end in the office using a voice grade module:
The network interface device is terminated on a TII 95s series module (I think it's p/n: 95s-1-00-0). It looks like the module in this document:

For an outlet in a different room that terminates on the same TII module, DSL works great. With the one I'm adding, I can't get good continuity tests. In writing this post, I noticed that the voice grade module from Home Depot has a single (1-star) review. The reviewer indicates that he tried several of those modules (unsuccessfully). According to the reviewer, the wire insulation isn't pierced, so no contact/continuity.

I double-checked that I'm wiring the voice grade module correctly as well as the TII 95s module. Pairs and tip/ring are in the right place.

I think I'll try a different keystone jack / port.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

You are using the wrong type of cable. The flat wire will not crimp to the module. Use regular 4 wire 22 or 24awg cable.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

You also need to run proper FT rated cable according to fire codes.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thank you Marv!
A CAT 5E riser cable from Lowes worked great.

curlycord, your reply is a bit confusing. I think you mean whatever cable I use needs to meet flame test ratings as mandated by the local/municipality fire codes...not that I necessarily need to run plenum rated cable...? The cable I selected should meet local safety/fire codes as it is CM/CMR (in-wall, riser) rated. The cable isn't installed in a plenum space.

Yes Plenum cable FT6 (flame resistant) required in return air ceilings.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back