Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring Door Phone Card and Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

htr

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
US
I have an installation that requires me to wire-into an exiting door strike that resides on a access control system. I am looking for a second option on the wiring, the first opinion is mine *smile.
My thoughts:
Use a DPST relay that will act as an isolation relay as wel as a device to through the strike. I believe the existing strike is 24vdc. My biggest concern is running power through the door phone card contact. I am not sure of the power rating on the card termination points. If the strike is DC, I can use the door phone contact to break the ground, providing an incomplete circuit.

Does this make sense to anybody? This is my first shot at doing this, I prefer not to let the smoke out of any boards, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Chris

Take the door opener unit apart and look at the rating on the relay inside.

The safest way to integrate with the door strike would be through an external relay. The internal one will pass about 100ma at 24vDC without difficulty (this is a close guess, but my manuals are at the office) but it's always a good idea to put a reverse biased diode across the coil to prevent back EMF when the field collapses.

The contacts are N.O. and the KSU will strobe the requested contact closed for 5 seconds when triggered.

Unless I am installing the strike, I use an intermediate relay to protect the KSU card. (if the strike type changes later, you risk the possibility of a non compatible one being out into service.) So use an external DPDT relay, a diode, and a small 12vDC wall wort PSU to power the circuit. That way you get the best possible scenario: N.O. and N.C. contacts if needed, or you could parallel the contacts to provide a bifricated contact system that will likely last a heck of a long time. Plus, if something ever causes high current on the strike circuit, $5 at radio shack and a few minutes later and you're back in business.

Good luck,

Pat MacKinnon
Omni telecommunications Inc.,
London, Ontario, Canada
omnitel-ca

Phoneguy65,

Thanks for replying. I actually completed the door integration with the phone system last week. My design matched yours exactly (except the diode). Since I used a between the lock and the door card, I didn't thinkg I needed the diode, though now that you mention it, it is not a bad idea to have as a saftey. I figured it was best to install an isolated relay powered by a "wall wort p/s".

Thanks again for the input.

Chris

Exactly, but a back-EMF proection diode is always a good idea when the coild are being powered by DC. Just remember, you can't employ them across AC powered coils.

Pat MacKinnon
Omni telecommunications Inc.,
London, Ontario, Canada
omnitel-ca

The door phone Mod can handle AC or DC Volts careful amp rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back