Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring Connection Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hello,

We just moved into a home which has been prewired with RJ45 jacks for computer and telephone connections. Our cable modem / router / phone device is in family room and the desktop computer is in the study (it does not have a wifi card). There is 1 RJ45 connection for modem / router / phone device in the family room. With that as the basis here is the question.

If I understand the RJ45 cabling correctly, the two phone wires are not used for a computer set up. So wires / cables, can you use one cable and split it for both phone connection and computer connection. The reason I ask is that I want to use the computer connection wires between the family room and the study for the desktop and the phone connection to provide phone service to the rest of the house. Basically, is there a splitter I can buy or do I have to make my own? Also is there any issues with these two services in the same cable?

I hope I have explained this clearly enough, if not please reply with questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Typically in the UK anyway however I imagine this will apply elsewhere. the phone will be on pins 4&5 on the RJ45 (the blue pair), if your switch/router is running at 100mb/s it will only be using 2 pairs, pins 1&2 and 3&6 (oranges and greens)
So yes you can have a splitter

Calum M
ACSS

Running voice & data on the same cable isn't recommended. Could a cordless telephone with multiple handsets be, somehow, utilized?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Thank you both for your comments. Now I have to go to work on the issue.

Sounds like the answer is in the previous responses. Unless you are using POE(Power over Ethernet) or Gigabit from your switch, you should be able to use 7 & 8 for an analog phone (Brown/White and Brown).
Purchase a wall jack with your RJ45 and RJ11 combined and it should be fine.

yes you can run voice and data on one cable if that's all you have, two cables would be better .
ISDN intigrated systems digital network

Google search "smart jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back