Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring a non-split 66-block ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everyone:

Need a little help I think. I'm trying to wire multiple line appearances to a 66-block. I have a phone jack wired from the demarc point, and from there, I would like to wire 6 or 7 appearances of that CO line.

I'm used to using split 66 blocks, but in this application, it's just a plain block. Is it right to say that when I punch down my pairs on the left side, I can connect my devices on the right side just as I would a split block, but just not use the bridging clip? I'm not sure I'm understanding that right, but that seems to make sense.

I alternate white blue / blue down the block on the left-hand side for tip/ring - is that right?

What about when I attach the RJ11 jack to the other end that goes into the jack? I know it goes in the center two pins of the jack, but does it go white/blue blue, or blue, white/blue? From what I read, it seems that you wire the plug in the format of ring/tip, but you punch down in the format of tip/ring ... is that right?

Thanks everyone for your help.

A few points of information:
TIP is always on TOP, remember Tip Top!
RING is Right, Red, Ridge
White-Blue is TIP, White-Orange is TIP, Red-Green is TIP, etc. This is also referred to as the Even Count color code.

Is your 66M block, a 66M4-25? If that is the case, you have 3 multiples per clip. Now there is orientation to this block. If you have not noticed that the clip "hooks" face different directions, one is the opposite of the other 3. (that is one way to tel the difference between the 66M1-50 versus the 66M4-25) The one that faces the other 3 is the one you use to loop the leads for multiplying the Tips and Rings thru the fanning strip. So you want to orient your block so that your wiring or jumpers fit the backboard layout and organization in relation to the rest of the equipment or blocks.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

You're fantastic, Jim - once I saw the pin directions, it totally made sense. I got everything working now. Thanks again for the help!

You are very welcome! The devil is in the detail...

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back