Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiremap: Linkmaster vs Progressive 468

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgyde

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
Anyone know how the IDEAL Linkmaster 62-200 compares with the Progressive 468 cable tester? I am looking just for a tester that will verify the pairs correctly, and use it in small business network testing, for shorter runs. I don't want to sink alot of money into a TDR cable tester, and think one of these should work fine for my use.

I found the Linkmaster quite a bit cheaper, and has auto-off feature, which may turn out useful.

However, I have used the Progressive 468 before, and like how it works.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
- dgyde

I just went through the same evaluation and ended up with the Progressive 468. I really can't put a finger on it, but after using both, I just liked the 468 better.

468 is the stuff...just make sure you turn it off.The 468 also has tone send on the main unit,which is very useful in some instances.You will spend around $120(comes with 2 patch cables,and nice case).Im sure that there are a few equally good testers out there,but by experience, Progressive Electronics products have been very dependable for me.Later.

I use the Progressive 701K Tone/Probe Kit. They make excellent products. I have used the 468 tester before. Worked nicely. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

It is a bit more money, but the Fluke MicroScanner Pro is hard to beat. Not only will it map 1,2,3, or 4 pair wires, It will tell you which ones are crossed where. It will also tell you distance. If you plug it into a network cable, it will tell you if it sees a HUB or a NIC card, and how far away. It sends tone as well. One of my favorite features is it will blink a network light for you. Let's say you get into a site that has 50 cables, no lables, and the customer wants you to verify his cable works. Plug the fluke into the PC end, and it will slow blink the HUB port that it is plugged into. Great tool, especially for those hubs that don't permit tone across the cable. Tests COAX too for you home theater and SAT guys.

Get the Seimons tester with 4 remotes it comes to about 200 bucks.....but for more intensive cat testing the LANCAT 6 is great........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back