Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Zero Configuration - Stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2005
US
I'm trying to setup wireless networking on a bunch of laptops.

The Wireless Zero Configuration keeps turning off or fails to start after rebooting, resulting in no connection to the wireless network.

There are no events showing that this is even happening. Also, when I disable the wireless card and then enable it, the Zero Config turns off again.

Any ideas how to prevent the service from being stopped. It looks as if something is stopping it, and that it's not failing, due to having the service set to restart upon failing.

1. Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel window, if you’re in Category View, then under Pick a Category, double-click the Network and Internet Connections icon (if you’re in Classic View, click on the Network Connections icon and skip to step #4).

3. In the Network and Internet Connections window, under the Control Panel icon, double-click the Network Connections icon.

4. In the Network Connections window, under LAN or High Speed Internet, click to select the Local Area Connection icon.

5. On the menu bar, click File and select Properties from the file menu. (Altneratively, right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties from the context menu).

6. In the Local Area Connections Properties window, on the General tab, click the Install button.

7. In the Select Network Component Type window, in the Click the type of network box, click to select the Service icon.

8. Click the Add button.

9. In the Select Network Service window, click the Have Disk button.

10. Click the OK button.

11. In the Install From Disk window, click the Browse button.

12. In the Locate File window, browse to the C:\Windows\Inf folder (this is a hidden folder).

13. Click to select NETWZC.INF.

14. Click the Open button.

15. In the Install from Disk window, click the OK button.

16. In the Select Network Service window, in the Network Service box, select Microsoft as the manufacturer, and then click to select Wireless Zero Configuration.
Click the OK button.

At this point you’ll need to reboot your PC.

17. Start, Run, Services.msc

Check that the Startup desposition for the Wireless Zero service is set to Automatic, and that the Service is in fact started. If not, start the service and modify the startup type.

As it turns out, the driver for the wireless card had a wireless network management piece. I turned that off and it's all good now.

Personally, I turn off the MS wireless zeroconfig service manually, and only use the utils/drivers for the NIC.
Generally seems to be less flakey that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back