Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless with Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokona13

Programmer
Dec 7, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but can't find a specific wireless forum here, and I'll be running it with a win2k served network, so here goes.

I have a long thin building: 150-200 feet corridor, one room on each side of corridor. There is lots of alluminum plating and struts holding up pieces of the walls and such. We also have a serious rat problem. Noone on island is capable/willing to install a proper metal pipe sheathing system in the ceiling to hold the ethernet wires, and the people who installed them just layed them up in the false ceiling. As you may imagine, the rats eat the wires fairly frequently. I'd really like to go wireless, and we have some grant money to do it (educational facility), so we can get the equipment we need, but not necessarily super expensive corporate class stuff. Anyone with experience with windows networks and wirelss communication have any recommendations for access points and pci cards? Do the cards with wired antennaes that can be strung slightly away from the computer or in any direction help reception significantly. How many access points will I need to set up in a 200 foot hallway with plentiful metal in the building materials?

Thanks!

Matt

In communicating in buildings with stucco walls (metal mesh covered in concrete) I found the reception to be limited to about 50 feet from access point. I guess this is because the walls act as a faraday cage and damp the broadcast pretty quickly. If the building is 200 x 50 I would suggest five access points staggered/spaced down the center hallway. Definately get access points that you can remove their little antenna and directly attach remote antenna to the port, you can position the antenna to lobe the reception if you have a corner that communicates poorly. The cards should not need remote antenna, but if you have cards that allow you to remove the small antenna it would give you this option later on (again if the PC sits someplace with poor reception.)

You will still need one wired trunk down the center of the building to connect the five access points back to your server(s), but this could be a straight conduit run with the five cables inside.

I like the Netgear products, and recommend their "G" access points whenever speaking about wireless. Just remember you give up some security when wireless...maybe you want to invest in a ton of Decon instead.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back