Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless usb will not work windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOfOz

Technical User
Aug 24, 2010
AU
Hi all
I just bought two USB wireles dongles both refuse to enable
I have wifi available the one I want to work is dlink ac1200 dual band isn adap
I am running windows 7
I have stopped all firewall and antivirus
I can see it in the available network connection however it is disabled I enable it it goes through the process says it is enabled but it isn't
I also deleted other network card and rebooted

I would appreciate some ideas
Thnks
Chris

What is the model of the USB wireless adapter? Not all of them are compatible with Windows 7.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Have you tried checking d-link's site for the latest driver? If you tried to install from a disk, it's possible the driver had issues when shipped, and they have an updated version online. If you didn't install a driver at all from D-link and solely depended upon Windows, then that also could be why. I'd always go to the manufacturer's site for a driver for something like this no doubt.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi guys thanks to the advice
If I can connect I will try updating the driver I pro did anyway try try

If you can't connect that machine to the Internet, you're obviously connecting with something in order to post here. If necessary, browse to D-Link's site from another device, download the necessary file, transfer over USB, burn to CD, whatever, and then to the computer where you're trying to use the wireless adapter, and install that way. I've had to go that route on many occasions.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi there
Yes im using my no USB port iPhone to post.
I contacted dlink who had an Indian chap for support I had trouble understanding him and he must of had his mike in a packet of chips but he had no idea what he was talking about I told him 7 times I had a desktop but he kept telling me to turn off the wifi card on my laptop. Frustrating.anyway I will return to the supplier tomorrow and download the driver to usb. See where that takes me.i can't help feeling of here is some conflict in the system and I really hate formatting without fixing.
Thnx
Chris

Chris,
Please describe exactly what you are seeing. In Windows 7, you see the wireless network icon in the lower-right next to the clock, right? From your post, it appears you have clicked on this icon to see available wireless networks but are unable to connect. Is that correct?

The next time you are in front of your computer, record the steps you are taking and post back here.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

If this is the DWA-182 D-link adapter according to the site, it is horrible to install and several people complain about the drivers, one person posted a work around that worked for him, maybe it will work for you:

use install program till it asks you to insert wireless card then go to control panel / device manager - - then right click on wireless ac1200 select update driver software // then browse my computer select cd rom drive that install disk is in -- it will then install driver....
*NOTE -- after doing this you MUST use TASK MANAGER to close install programs other wise if you cancel or close any other way it removes the driver you just installed and you will have to start again.

That's pretty half-baked to have to do that. Not a very good product apparently, or at least bad driver.

Hi All

Thankyou for your contributions
Mr Clarke
I followed your instructions to the letter the only bit I had a problem with was when I went to install via the device manager it determined it already had the best driver installed.!
Anyway same result 😖

Ahoy cdogg
Here are the steps.
Remove driver via device manager
Reboot
Insert cd
Run auto Exe
Follow bouncing ball
Insert dongle at prompt
Allow complete install
In last case close via task manager
Reboot
Go to network and sharing
Select change network adapters
Select greyed out (indicates disabled)dlink
Right click
Select enable
Dialogue box indicates enabling device then enabled
Dialogue box closes device still greyed out 😖
Call my computer names and shake fist vigorously

Next I will try in safe mode with network see if works then.

Chris

What is the brand/model? That should always be included with a question like this.

So, exactly WHY are you adding hardware to a work computer? That is normally totally forbidden. And do you realize that if that is a work computer, they may have disabled your ability to add a device to the computer, which might explain the whole situation?!?!

Sorry auto spell checker it supposed to read compaq not company

That was a critical spell-check mistake.

ChrisOfOz said:
I followed your instructions to the letter the only bit I had a problem with was when I went to install via the device manager it determined it already had the best driver installed.!

You know, sometimes it'll say this but you can still override. Don't let it try to get the best driver. Instead you want to specify a driver, where it'll let you browse for a location. I didn't read all the instructions mentioned in the workaround, but I've been there and done that (though less often required in past few years at least than prior to Windows 7).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back