Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless solution advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
Scenario:
Existing LAN in building. Want to set up wireless to a remote building aprox. 350' away. NO CABLE per mgmt. Advice on good products for this type of venture and also anything to watch out for while setting up.. Thanks in advance! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Will the remote building have an internal wired network, or do you need wireless in each computer?
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

There will be cable on both sides, I need something to bridge the 2... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

at 11 Mbps (actual throughput 5 Mbps) there is a lot of 802.11b equipment, I have had a lot of luck with Aironet equipment, now part of cisco

at 44, 100 and 460 Mbps I would look at the proxim (formerly western multiplex) tsunami line

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Well I second the cisco solution. I have a set of bridges ordered for a link almost the same as what you are describing. I spent 5 hours this weekend working with a networking friend trying to get his d-link 22 mbs (yeah right) 802.11b stuff working. It worked on the table, it worked across the room. We sat them in the window sills of the two buildings and could actually get a link a few times with attached antennas. We pulled the functioning Breezecom gear down, hooked the dlinks up to the gain antennas that were in use and we get no link. We swapped everything, wasted most of a day.

Short answer is I don't trust the cheap stuff. I'm sure we missed something because it is a short hop. However, with no way to read signal strength it wasn't possible to really align anything else. These little units come with a built in antenna as one of the two, and an external antenna for the second one (diversity system). No matter what we tried, it appears the units continue to use the little internal antennas. We could find no way to select just the external one (what i usually do with the breezecom installations).

So...he sent the D-link back, I'm going to try it with my cisco stuff when it arrives and then maybe go that way.

It is frustrating, but if you have to make this run and keep it running, I'd suggest quality like the cisco unless you need more speed.

Good Luck It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Thanks Guys! That was exactly what I was looking for. I was actually torn between the Cisco 350 or a Linksys-type solution, but I'm going to push the Cisco...

Be sure you shop the cisco product, they have had two major price reductions in the 350 series this year, one just a week or two ago, so make sure you get the most for your money.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

With my recent experience with linksys I would shy away from them. Basically had 50% failure rate out of the box which comprised 3 out of 3 at the last across two revision levels. Plugged in SMC and up in minutes. But this isn't neccessarily a SMC plug since I haven't had any other experience with them. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back