Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless setup for a pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savil

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
EU
Hi All
A friend of mine owns a three storey pub and bed and breakfast. He already has a domestic wireless network setup for his flat on the top floor. He is missing out on bookings as people are demanding wireless conectivety. This is victorian building with fairly thick walls and as such his domestic setup just is'nt strong enough.

How would you go about flooding the building with wifi? It would be preferable if cabling wasn't required. I would really appreciate a shopping list and instructions.

what is the budget??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

We are trying some Ubiquity router stations which seem to have a lot more range than any other router we have tested.We have 4 of them in a hotel complex and they cover all 4 floors with better signal than any of the other routers we have tested. Where to buy them i dont know but i am sure you can find a dealer somewhere in which ever country you reside.

Ok
Here are my thoughts

From the main BT/ADSL entry point which is on the top floor and is also where the current wireless/modem router is situated. I buy one of those ethernet adapters that plug into the electrical circuit that pass connectivety via the building electrical system. That then connects to the router via cable. That means that internet is available via the building electrical system, yes? Use another adaptor in the middle floor and connect that to a wireless access point which should cover the middle floor, yes? If the topology is correct can you please confirm and give me a correct shopping list.

Thanks

How big is the middle floor? One room, two rooms, four rooms, etc.
Does your WiFi router successfully cover the whole of the top floor? Or does it need extra APs?
Is each floor of a similar surface area?

Yes, Network-over-Mains adaptors will work successfully, provided that the mains wiring within the building is only through one electricity meter, and it hasn't been 'shambolically' linked together with spurs off spurs etc., etc. In other words, each floor is properly socketed in separate ring circuits, etc.

Check this device out for middle and lower floors:-

So you'd need two of these for middle and lower floors, and one of these on the top floor to connect with an Ethernet cable into your router:-

These devices should be plugged directly into a 13 Amp socket. They will often work when plugged into a mains adaptor or multiway power block, but the signal fed round the mains ring circuit will be greatly reduced.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back