Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless router problem accessing the Internet with 2 laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJPic

Programmer
Jun 8, 2005
US
Hi, I currently have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and connect to Comcast Cable as my Internet provider. About 8 months ago, I was using 2 Dell Inspiron Laptops, one “OLD machine” with an external (Linksys) Wireless card and one “NEW machine” with an internal card. At that time I was able to successfully and without problems, access the Internet via my router.

Then, the OLD laptop with the external card had powering problems and I placed the machine on the shelf for awhile. I recently purchased a new power cord for it and now, for the most part, the system seems to be running fine.

However, when I tried to access a Webpage I COULD access the router, but NOT the Internet. I verified this by successfully pinging my router. I then powercycled my modem and router, rebooted both of my laptops and then I was able to access the router and Internet with my OLD laptop. I was all excited but then when I went to use my NEW laptop, I no longer could connect to my router and Internet. I could connect to the Internet via my neighbors unsecured routers but not my own.

I shut both machines down again, brought up the NEW first, got that to acess my router and Internet, then brought up the OLD laptop. Again, I could access the router with my OLD machine, but NOT the Internet. At the suggestion of an IT friend from work I changed the IP address of my OLD machine but that still did not fix the problem.

Anyone ever hear of this where 2 machines could connect to a router but only one at a time can seemingly get to the Internet? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest statically assigning ip address, subnet mask, gateway, dns to each laptops wireless card and going from there. If that works then you might want to look into the dhcp settings on the router.

Chris Clancy, EnCE
Miles Technologies

Thank you Chris.

Is there any literature on the Web that you can point me to on how to do this? Or if it's not too cumbersome, could you possibly explain it yourself?

Thanks again.

AJ

AJ-

No problem

1. Start
2. Control Panel (or Settings > Control Panel)
3. Network Connections
4. Local Area Connection / Wireless Connection
5. Right click
6. Click on Properties
7. Highlight TCP/IP Properties
8. Select Properties
9. Enter the details from there
10. Apply
11. OK

Chris Clancy, EnCE,CCE

How many DHCP addresses is your router handing out. As mentioned before, there might be a dhcp conflict or your simply not handing out enough addresses at a time. Also you might try flashing your firmware to the newest revision.

J

Also, assuming that you are running XP. Right click on the wireless icon in the system tray and click repair. This will grab a new ip address and clean out the cache which could be causing the problem.

J

Sounds like your DHCP server is only handing out 1 address. This is sometimes used as a band-aid when WEP or WPA is too much of a hassel to use for security.

check the physical connection,. make sure that the modem is plugged at the internet port of the router..reset the router... press the reset button located at the back if the router.for 30 sec.. power cycle the router and modem... access set up page router.. 192.168.1.1 under set up tab look for mac address clone.. clone ur router... enable and click clone your pc's mac button.. and save settings... power cycle again.. check if online.. if u can go online..reconfigure the wireless settings...

**make sure that your hardwire directly to the ethernet port of the router if accessing the setup page...and doing all the stuff before trying wireless connection..pls check also the firmware version under status page... TNX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back