Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Router of Choice 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxEd

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
Which brand and model of wireless router would you recommend based on price and value? Right now I can only vouch for the linksys WRT54GS.

WRT54G/GS family.
The firmware alternatives available make this a winner.

My choice will be Dlink "DI-624" Wireless G router.

I'm currenty using a Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router and haven't had any problems with it. It seems to be holding up quite solidly.

I was having some connection problems that I thought was the router, but it turned out to be a bad tap on the cable box outside the house that was causing my signal loss.

Enkrypted
A+

Microsoft MN-700 802.11g WAP w/4port FastEthernet Switch. Very reliable, very secure WEP. Haven't had any tech buddies gain unauthorized access (even though they keep trying) LOL

The Microsoft MN-700 is no longer made or sold, and no firmware updates are planned. It cannot do WPA. Please do not buy this product if you find it. The Microsoft networking newsgroup is full of tales of woe from purchasers of this product, and Microsoft has thrown in the towel.

bcaster, I am a newbie here, but I am just posting my experience with this router. It has served me well for 18 months now, ZERO problems. As with ANY hardware implementation, there are known issues. Go to any user review site of ANY hardware and you will find there are issues with them and plenty "tales of woe". There IS a firmware update available, still. Those who know hardware, READ what the firmware update resolves. If the problem does not exist for them, they don't update. As far as "It cannot do WPA", do you mean WAP and WEP? These terms are familiar to me. WPA, is not. I googled and searched, but nothing on WPA. But if you meant WAP, you are not correct. WAP and WEP are supported by this router. I only attest to my experience here and it has been stellar. (My 2cents)

I am glad you were happy with your purchase of the MN-700. Microsoft had serious issues with this product, and when it failed WI-FI industry certification under WPA-1 they dropped the entire product line and threw in the towel. It became a bit too much for them when they could not certify the device for their own WHQL and HCL list for XP Service Pack 2.

Call Microsoft tech support and ask about WPA support for the router.

They will tell you that it is not supported, as it failed WI-FI industry certification using WPA. Only WEP is supported.

Bill Castner, MS-MVP, Windows Networking

Okay, I won't argue the issues anymore. All I was trying to do is comment on my EXPERIENCE with this WAP/router. I have 1 wirelessly shared network printer (HP Photosmart 8450), Two desktops running (Win2K/WinXPhome dual boot) and WinXPpro that are ethernet connected. Two additional desktops Win98 se and WinXpPro)with internal PCI adapters sharing hardware with a Belkin KVM+audio switch. And finally my wife's HP 5330 wi-fi enabled laptop she uses for college. Only one issue that I can recall, and that has been since SP2 install I have lost Remote scan feature to the Win98se box to the HP Scanjet 6200Cxi. I expect to find a workaround when I get some time to devote to it. My opinion may not be as informed enough to have posted. Sorry.

I appreciate your comments, and am happy it worked so well for you. I tested this product, and while I am still under NDA, I thought it a perfectly reasonable job by Microsoft at the time.

But looking for a current purchase, I would avoid this one, for the reasons I gave above.

bcastner,

I was not overy excited when Microsoft tried to get into the Wifi because I wouldn't think they would have the support for it based on the amount of products then currently have out in the market. So I think I'll stick Linksys.

Alwaysup,

I thought about the router microsoft tried to sell at clearance prices when micrisoft decided to get out of the wifi business. Then I realize if a product does not have support, then the product becomes a burden to own like my 2 voodoo video cards.

I appreciate your comments, bcastner. My brother-in-law is a current Microsoft employee who is a MCSE and a internal systems trainer.
He traveled globally training on Cisco systems before Microsoft.
He recently told me, after I asked; that Microsoft did not manufacture any of the wi-fi hardware marketed under the Microsoft name, but he did not know who did. Last I mentioned it, he still had not found out. The reason I had asked him came about because I wanted to know where they had their manufacturing facility located, of which there is none.

MaxEd, I liked the router so much, I bought two OEM MN-820 kits and 3 MN-730 adapter cards. I have installed 1 in a customer's home-based business environment and he is very satisfied. In this case I actually MADE some money and have had one very easily resolved support call on the implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back