Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless router connection problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
Hi all,
I am experiencing to lose internet connection very frequently bu using a D-link router DIR-615. I have to unplug the power supply and then reinsert it after 20 seconds. Then its possible to get the connection, but it has become very annoying doing this almost everyday. Sometimes I need to do it several times to get the connection.
I have checked the producers homepage and there is not a firmware that will modify the device to get a stable connection.
I appreciate your reply helping me fixing this problem.
thanks in advance

0. Check the output of the power supply. Does it match the rated output in Volts DC. You are using the correct adapter - 100% for sure.

1. Have you verified that the internet connection works fine when a PC is directly connected to the modem (bypassing the router)?

2. Have you verified that the computer can connect to other wireless networks without any issues?

If you have done 1 & 2 and there is no firmware update, then the fault is inside the router and it's time to buy a new one. Not everything can be fixed.

The router is only 3-4 months old, and the firmware is not relevant to connection issues.

As for questions you made,
1. output supply is ok, no mismatching.
2. internet conneciton works fine without the router, directly connecting by a cable.
3. there are no other wireless network I can access to.

most likely a problem with the router, I have the same router, and the only time my wireless was having an issue, was when I noticed it had a piece of printer paper over it, and it was over heating, let it cool down, and everything has been rock solid.

What do you mean - "The router is only 3-4 months old, and the firmware is not relevant to connection issues."

Firmware often means the difference between flaky behavior and reliable operation. It means everything.

If it's under warranty - return it as defective, since it clearly is.

So am I: also getting intermittent loss of connection over a DIR-615, about a year old. I have an old 3Com wireless access point wired to the D-Link on the same network which is slightly more resilient - it does not drop connection so easily, but it just acts a simple hub.

But I think it is the ISP with intermittent problems - in my case Virginmedia in the UK. I am also sure that they have infrastructure problems - cable runs are probably flooded due to high water tables, running parallel to main electricity services, with cable service boxes on the streets that are not locked by technicians, just jammed shut with loops of cable.

The cable TV also has momentary losses, noticeable in sound rather than vision. Then it goes back to a normal service for a while. No pattern.

I'm not sure if the D-Link DIR-615 was a cheap model or not, but about a year ago I purchased the WBR-2310 model for a family member. It was $30 on clearance and was one of the worst purchases I ever made.

Regardless if I update the firmware or tweak the wireless settings every which way, it loses track of authenticated devices every 2-3 days. If the user's laptop running Windows Vista is put into hibernation mode and not woken up within a short period of time (say 8 hours or so), then it will no longer be able to connect to the router until the router is powered off/on. The same happens even if you leave the laptop running for several days. It will eventually get kicked off saying it's unable to connect. I've even taken my laptop over there (which runs Windows 7) and experienced the same problem.

If the laptops are wired over ethernet, there are no issues. Be careful what you buy! All wireless routers are not created equal!

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

rclarke250

I think your suggestion was right. Since I read your reply, I noticed that I had placed my IP phone device on top of my D-link router. Now I have placed them seperately side by side and since that time I haven't seen any disconnection at all!
I guess it was due to overheating the device that it happend.

I'm doubting that heat wast the issue, but it's possible. Let it run for a few days and see what happens.

Postgoombawaho

Well it might sounds strange but since that time which is now almost a week, I haven't encountered any disconnection at all. I haven't even made any changes to the wireless setup. So yes I am going to wait for some more time and see what it happens.

The transmission rate is set to automatic (best) and it is not possible to choose any, and WMM is not enabled.
Would it make any significant changes if they were changed?

The reason I said that I doubted it was heat was that I had my router "buried" in a pile of stuff (on the bottom) and it was warm, but never gave me any problems.

goombawaho,
Well I'm sure heat has different effects on different models. Also some are probably better ventilated than others. You didn't mention that you had the same model.

mach04,
Glad that seems to be working out. Wish it were that simple in my case!

~cdogg

I have now also updated the firmware and made changes in Internet connection setup to Dynamic.
So far I am experiencing a stable connection to my router, at least the time I am in front my PC.

cdogg: I think the problem with your router is that its a G-router, while mine is a N-router, its faster. My previous router was a G-router from Belkin, and because of unstable connections I decided to change it to a N-router.

mach04,
Thanks for the input, but I'm not so sure the speed of the connection really has any effect on stability, at least it shouldn't. I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure at some point they'll decide they're tired of the issue and replace it.

~cdogg

I'm also a DSL router user on Virgin/NTL UK and over the years I have had several different router models. Two Netgear both G's although one was a 108, one Bufalo and now Belkin N.
The last one 'Buffalo MIMO' pre-N.. I'm pretty sure was not faulty as I eventually found a problem with my wifes wireless card in her Acer laptop which fixed her intermittent wireless connection.
Just took the card out and 'brightened' the brass terminals with a pencil erasor.....now 4 months without problems (previously she would loose connection at least twice a day).

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back