Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Roaming for Lan and Guest Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger85

Technical User
May 12, 2007
Hi Guys,

Looking for some Pre-buy advice.

We have a office consisting of around 100 users, all based in one building but 60 users on ground floor and 40 on the 3rd Floor, 2nd floor belongs to someone else. Both our floors linked using 2gb fibre connections into our HP Switchs. All our (2003 x 6) servers are on Ground Floor but this doesnt matter.

Right so we want to setup WIFI on both floors, but we need two WIFI networks, one for internal users to use there Latpops and access servers, the other for Guests who visit us so purley interent with no Server Access.

Our requirements are as follows :

We must have two SSID's, one for Internal LAN and one for Guest Internet.

Users must be able to use Wireless every where in both offices.

Must be able to roam from one end of the office to the other keeping a continuous connection.

The wireless MUST be backward compatible, so A/B/G & N if possible.

We understand when a user walks from one floor to another they will loose connection, this is fine but when they enter the other floor we want it to automatically connect.

From what i understand is we would need around 5 WAPs on each floor.

I've never used Cisco WAP's but can now see they do a Small Business range of Products, they do something called a WAP4410N, link below:

The first thing i'd like to know is your thoughts on the actual product, its very cheap compared to there standard versions.

Here are my many questions :

It states upto to 4 SSIDS, is this what i need for interneal and guest Lans.

When Joining them up, is it as straight forward as setting them up with the Same SSID and that it?

Does each unit need to be pathced into the netowrk, or can it run just using wirless.

It does not have DHCP on it,this is fine for internal network as they will use the w2003 dhcp srv, but how would the guest network clietns get ip address.

Does anyone have anyother input, Help?

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back