Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Repeater into tv 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

draigGoch

Programmer
Feb 10, 2005
GB
I'm not sure where this should be posted, but i'm hoping that someone here can help me. I have recently purchased a new Sony Bravia TV and want to hook it up to the internet, but unfortunately my router is not in the living room, and I am not going to fork out £70 for a SONY wireless dongle.

Is it possible to use a wireless repeater such as this:
to receive the wireless signal and then use an ethernet from the receiver to the tv?

A computer always does what you tell it to, but rarely does what you want it to.....

Personally, I found the wireless bridge not sufficiently fast or reliable for my TV (also a Sony Bravia, but a couple of years old now.)

I use Devolo dLAN 200 AVPLus (Networking over Power Circuits) which is excellent.

Plugging a network cable into a mains connector goes against all instincts, but once you've experienced such an easy high speed link, you'll love it.

PS: Cymru am byth!

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

BTW, if you want to go down the wireless route, you'd need a 802.11n system to get the bandwidth. If you have an 802.11n router, then you'd need a suitable extender/bridge, something like Netgear WN2000RPT.

(Hope that link works…)

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Diolch John,

I've been looking at those ethernet over Power adapters myself, but I've heard that they can be unreliable in a house with old electrics?

I think that a colleague has bought them, so will borrow them off him to test it first.

A computer always does what you tell it to, but rarely does what you want it to.....

I suppose it depends on what you mean by old. If you have the usual red, black & copper earth T&E for your ring mains, I expect it'll be fine.

Unless you live in a palace, the distances involved are only a few metres, probably less than 20, which is fine.

The Devolo utility indicates 192Mbps between my socket off the router upstairs and the TV downstairs, which is all but the maximum.

It also works fine in my detached garage!

Devolo advise against the use of trailing sockets, but it works fine for me.

But a trial is definitely worth it. It really is plug and go!

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back