Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a Belkin G Router - Wireless and i have it configured to use WEP 128 bit.

My Issue is with my Laptop. I have a Advent 6100 Laptop and i wish to use the inbuilt Wireless settings ....

I can see the router when i go find the wireless network but when i go to do the security i dont get the opportunity to use WEP 128 Bit

All i get is the WPA in the drop down box.

My laptop is running XP Home SP2.

If i cant get this to work what are the options as i dont really want to use the USB adapter .... as i purchased the laptop so that it could be used without USB adapter.

Any answers gratefully received.

Roadrunner

What is the manufacturer of the built-in w/l adaptor? Is it Intel? Are you using the W/L adaptor application or Windows Zero Config utility?

Hi,

I have a intel chipset according to the specifications of the laptop.

As to the following ?

Are you using the W/L adaptor application or Windows Zero Config utility?

I dont know what you are refering to ?

sorry

Rdrunner

"Are you using the W/L adaptor application or Windows Zero Config utility? I dont know what you are refering to?"

Maxpipeline is asking if you're using (the proprietary) software specific to the Wireless LAN adaptor, or if you're using XP's built-in wireless configuration utility which is known as "Wireless Zero Config"...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

oh

I see i am using Windows XP built in wireless configuration utility.

This doesn't seem to be able to handle 128 bit encrption.

rdrunner

can you use wpa on the router? a much better option than wep.

Whenever you have a wireless security issue at home, the easiest way to fix it is to only use MAC authentication. That should solve all your issues and keep people of your wireless. I think it is even better than WEP as WEP is open to AirSnort intrusions.

mac addressing is very easy to get around, there are freely available tools to both get a mac address from traffic and spoof a mac address. If you have those sorts of tools then you are in the business of hacking and getting around wep is a simple matter. What you would be mainly protecting from is people using simple tools (or even windows propritry wireless) from connecting. WEP is ok but WPA is better.
you can download tools off the net (bootable Linux with Kismet) and you can get an incredible amount of info from these. Anyone with this is not going to be stopped by a simple mac address. If anyone goes war driving they are looking (mainly) for unprotected networks to use, so if they see a lock chances are they will move on. If they are serious you need WPA as a minimum.

Disableing Wireless SSID Broadcasting can also help for the simple drive by looks.

You mention that Mac adresses are easily given out, that is true, but also is WEP, if you are not familiar there is a nice video that demonstrates how easily bypassable the WEP security is, its almost as open as MAC, just takes a little bit longer. Here is the link to the video:

Hi all,

WPA or WPA2 is a must for security. Update the firmware and drivers for the router and cards that should get you WPA (or WPA2 if your lucky.)

Let me know,

Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back