Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless PCMCIA cards - the range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullen

Technical User
Jun 24, 2001
GB
Does anyone know the average (i.e. real!) range of the 2.4Ghz Ethernet cards on the market?

it depends on the area that you are in most of the time it about 200-275 feet you need a clean shout for the full 300 feet your talking 802.11b right? So long and thanks for all the fish.

Yeah - I'm looking at buying one for the ol' laptop this afternoon. Some berk told me that I'd be lucky to get 10m with one...!

no way, unless you are in a behind a lead wall, we have had them running thorugh bricks walls and still got 200 feet with 5mb/s open air you can get the full speed and ranges for like a house there great. So long and thanks for all the fish.

My experience with the Intels would be a conservative 80 ft from the access point.
Al
atc-computing@home.com

Range is going to depend on a number of factors. These include the environment/room that you are in (walls, corners, hallways, etc. )as well as the transmission power spec for the radio adapter (802.11b commonly 30mW)and the antenna being used.
The distance supported can also be extended by using a lower data rate.
I get a full 11Mb connection from my desk while talking through a wall to an Access Point 150 ft. away in a seperate labroom .

I have reached 2km (open air) with a PCMCIA conected (11MB tested with full motion video and file transfer)to a directional antenna (15 db) and on the other side a common 11mb access point connected with same type of antenna. (50 mW on both sides) Note that i used a great loss cable instead low loss cable... so imagine... Next week i will buy a low loss cable...

Excuse my english.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back