Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless NIC Detects Access Point but wont route traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianpaterson

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
GB
I have installed a wireless NIC in my daughters PC to connect to my 802.11g access point. The card picks up the SSID and shows 99% for the signal strength however when I look at the statistics on the NIC I get 0 packets in and 0 packets out. No tools seem to use the NIC, ping dies as does ipconfig /renew_all and I see no packets hitting the interface.

My laptop works fine but this is starting to get on my nerves (as are my wifes comments of "I thought you did this for a living?").

Running W2k Pro with all packs and patches.

any ideas?

B-)
Brian, CCSE
brian@domain-integrity.com

ipconfig /all (do you usr dhcp)?
ping lokal loopback (127.0.0.1)?
is mac-filtering enabled on ap?

Make sure you did not install a WEP key. If you did but it is an open encryption you have to make sure in the NIC properties that encyption is enabled but also check "the key is automatically provided to me" (or something similiar). If it doesnt work or if the setup is correct i would assume you have a bad wireless nic card. I have noticed that wireless works or it doesn;t and if it doesnt the equpiment is bad (as long as the software was installed and configured correctly).

also make sure you have not run out of DHCP leases on the router.

cheers for the help guys

I removed the ethernet NIC and reinstalled the wireless one - traffic now routes fine.

thanks

B-)
Brian, CCSE
brian@domain-integrity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back