Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless network with PCs without wireless adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

davikokar

Technical User
May 13, 2004
IT
Hallo,

I have 4 computers without wireless capacity. I used to connect them to my modem/router with Ethernet cables. The modem/router has 4 ethernet plugs and one plug for the ADSL cable.

All 4 computer where in a LAN: I could use remote desktop to access them, so I needed only one screen, one keyboard, one mouse.

Now I moved and in the new apartment the telephone plug is too far away from where I keep the PCs. So I will need to use a wireless solution. Considered that my PCs do not have the wireless what would be the best solution ? What tool should I use ?

thanks for helping

Hallo MIke,

I need another solution. A sort of bridge between the cabled LAN and the router.

You can make a bridge by adding a second network adapter to any of your existing PCs and doing a lot of fiddling, or you can just buy a router, which is much, much easier.

(A bridge is sort of a subset of a router; it sends all packets to both connected nets, whereas a router separates the packets and only puts them on the net with the destination address. I'm not sure anyone even sells actual bridges anymore because routers have become so cheap.)

You could connect the new router's uplink port to any of the existing downlink ports on the modem/router. ... with a cable. But it's harder to conceal a Cat5 cable than a telco cable, along the baseboard or under the rug. Which was the thrust of my original point; extend the telco to the PC closet, and put the modem/router there, without having to change any settings or do any fiddling or buy anything but telco wire and terminations.

If your existing modem/router also has a wireless channel (you didn't say), you could connect that to your new (wireless/wired) router wirelessly, which seems to be your desire. ...

However, I DO NOT recommend managing your DSL modem over a wireless link, even for just a few seconds, because these days you must assume that every wireless link has an attentive 24/7/365 eavesdropper with malicious intent.

So, to check your network setup and/or maintain your modem/router, you should run a temporary cable from a PC to a downlink port on the modem/router and talk to it directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back