Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Network Soloution Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBrian

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hi,

I currently have a hard wired network of about 30 computers over a range of office suites all on the same floor of our building, running xp and osx.

We are about to implement a wireless soloution.

I understand that if we plug in access points to our current switch. and then run the setup cds we would have a configured wireless network?

We figure with the distance between the different suites we would need at least 3 access points to cover the range. so we would hard wire these straight to our main switch? or any switch that makes up our hardwired network...?

Now lets say i want to segment the wireless network from our main network - so it just provides printing and internet access (which is the likly scenario) - would i then add a wireless router that comes off the switch and then run the additional access points wired off the wireless router?? or could i then just add the access points to our current network?

Some of our clients bring in mac osx laptops and we also have several imacs around that we want to add to this wireless soloution and take them off the main network... is there any forseable problems with this?

The usb wireless sticks are they any good would they work with the macs?

Currently I have 1 Linksys Wireless Routermodel WRT54G and 2 linksys access points model- WAP54G, except for the usb sticks would i need anything else? do i really need what i already have?

As far as setting up the current devises we have, would i add the router to the network first and then add the access points?
does it matter which computer i configure them from - ie can it be a workstation or does it have to be a domiain controller...

Ive set up a wireless router at home but not in a work setting so i want to make sure im buying what i need rather than stuff i dont need.

Could someone take the time and tell me what would be the best soloution for this?

thankyou very much for your help

You really don't need the wireless router unless you wanted to segment your network further. The linksys access points are easy to install and configure. They plug into your network just as a workstation would, any switch will do. You can configure them from any workstation by browsing to the IP of the WAP from any internet browser, just like a Linksys router.

XP and OSX have built in wireless clients which work fairly well, you really don't need the setup CD in this case.

I haven't used the wirelss USB NICs before, I would assume they work just fine with XP and OSX. Macs will work fine with the Linksys access points as well.

One thing I recommend you look into is security. If your business is located in a crowded office building or a more crowded urban enviorment, anyone can hop on your wireless network unless you have some security in place such as WEP encryption. What I would recommend is to not broadcast the SSID and enable WEP encryption. I would imagine Linksys has a fairly simple set of instructions on how to do this since most of their products are for the average home user.

If you have any more questions I'd be glad to help.

cool, thanks for the advise,
we are definatly looking at segmenting the wireless part of the network... so just our clients use it......and have access to internet and wireless printers- so i assume the router would then be needed?

if it is needed - then do we run the wired access points from the back of the router in order to keep them on the same sub network?

thanks for your time

If it's a wireless router you shouldn't need the WAPs unless you're trying to cover a larger area. But yes, if you really wanted to extend the area of the network you would just connect the WAPs to the back of the wireless router. You would want them all to use the same SSID of course and you should be all set.

Be aware that this won't be very secure however unless you enable WEP encryption and disable the SSID broadcasting.

ASIDE: I am using a Windows ME system with a USB wireless antenna on the rear of the computer. Although the AP is in the same room, which means I can't tell exactly how good it is, it is fine for full strength reporting. I saved ahving to put a cable across the room under the carpet.

Waidesworld: start a new thread u might get some answers!!!
:)

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
Heads :)

headsup, I amn't looking for answers. I was adding an aside comment on USB adapters, as in they work fine for me.

Hi, I have some Home Wireless Network problem.
I have Wireless Router and Adapter. I have Windows XP Home on my home computer. The Problem I am having is my Adapter is catching another Wireless Signal also (For some body else signal. This is non Secured and not WEB Enabled) and switching every 2 mintues between my Access Point (My Signal is WEP Enabled) and other access point, which causing Connection failures.

How to tell my computer that it should catch only my Access Point ?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Set your wireless configuration to connect only to Preferred sites.

Add only your router to the list of preferred sites.

Upgrade to Service Pack 2. If you are unwilling to do so, at a minimum download and apply the Wireless Rollup Package for XP SP1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back