Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticke

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
its weird but after using my wireless connection for around 30-45 minutes it just died. Each time I have to disable and enble the wireless connection to get it back up. Any idea why this is happening?

thanks in advance.

I've seen this too - though more sporadic than 30-45 minutes - unfortunately never found a cause yet - so would be interested too (I just put it down to the vagaries of wireless networking).

You said "it just died". Does this mean it's showing in Device Manager as disabled, uninstalled or just not there at all completely gone awol!? Does it still show in the System Tray? Will it detect your network/AP or can it not see it all?

If you're configuring it with a dynamic address, try static instead. Make sure device has power saving feature switched off.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

At home we have very bad radio interference from an unknown source that occurs from time to time. This breaks the wireless connection. If I right-click the wireless icon in the task bar and select 'repair' it usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to do this several times.

Does your wireless card come with its own configuration utility or do you use the Windows config tool? The Windows one doesn't seem to report signal strength or link quality properly - on my home laptop it always says that signal strength is 'excellent' but the card manufacturer's own utility shows the real strength, which varies. If you have a utility from your card manufacturer, check the signal strength and link quality. You may find that one or the other isn't very high, which would mean you'd lose your connection quite often.

There are a lot of reasons why strength/quality can be low and a lot of ways to improve them. A good place to start is re-positioning your wireless router or access point.

Regards

Nelviticus

Sorry about not being detailed about it. I mean the connection just died. In the system tray, it still shows that it is connected but i guess it it not receiving any signals. Repairing it doesnt work at all, i would have to manually disable the wireless connection and enable it again for it to gain back the connection.

If you click on connection properties does it show connected to your network? Or some other network?

Sometimes it will try to connect to another network if it is in range. If it is a secured network or won't assign your PC an IP address the connection dies. There is a setting in preferred networks that will prevent trying to connect to other networks.

A suggestion would be to hard-code the Wireless card's MAC address in the router configuration. That way, you can assign it a static IP address from the router. I've found that some wireless routers, particularly D-Link models, work better in that configuration.

Another thing I would do is install the software utility for the wireless card, so that you can "accurately" monitor signal strength (as nelviticus pointed out). If you see the strength periodically dip below 70% in the software utility you installed, then that could also be the source of the problem. It's possible that the Windows configuration tool "thinks" the connection is still alive, but the router is assigning a new IP lease since the conncetion dropped and came back up. That would explain why restarting the connection resolves the issue.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Sounds like interfererence to me, I have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone and everytime it rings the wireless freezes up. An easy fix is to configure your wireless router to operate on the high end of the 2.4ghz frequency list and to set your cordless phone to like channel 1 or 2.

I did that and it fixed my problem

I wrote two batch files that I use when the weather is overcast, and my connection drops off.

There is a service called Wireless Zero Configuration (wzcsvc) that automatically connect to the strongest wifi signal, roughly every 3 minutes. Once I'm connected to my router, I stop the service. Windows doesn't look for automatic connections.

Here are the two batch files:

StopWZS.cmd
net stop wzcsvc

and this to turn it back on (or just reboot)
StartWZS.cmd
net start wzcsvc

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

By coincidence, last night I started getting the same problem as ticke. It wasn't interference this time, it was a problem with wireless security.

Check the log on your router/access point if you can. If it has a lot of entries showing 'paeDisconnected' then the following page may help you:

Regards

Nelviticus

I used to get this problem a lot with my old Linksys wireless cable/dsl router. It turned out that there was a bug in the firmware. Doing an update of the router's firmware fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back