Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Network Connection Doesn't Have a Valid IP Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDTurk

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2009
US
After years of success, I am no longer able to connect to wireless networks on my Dell Inspiron laptop. When troubleshooting, the problem found is "wireless network connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration". I'm not having any problems with other devices connecting to wireless devices so I think it's the PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

S8730 Processors (Redundncy/Mirror Img)
Aura 5.2 (Communication Manager)
Modular Messaging 5.2

Turn off computer.
Pull power plug on router. Wait 1 minute.
Restart router.
Restart computer.
Check for connection.

Have you tried REMOVING the wireless network from the list of networks you connect to, then restarting the laptop and re-adding the wireless network?

Have you updated the wireless card driver? Give us exact model and we can point you to a Dell download if there is one.

If all that fails, reset the IP stack on the laptop:
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

If rebooting a router supplied by your network provider, you also may need to pull a battery out of it to fully reset it.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
C#.NET Programmer

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. I won't be able to test these things til this evening.

S8730 Processors (Redundncy/Mirror Img)
Aura 5.2 (Communication Manager)
Modular Messaging 5.2

you also may need to pull a battery out of it to fully reset it.
Very true. Those batteries are practically useless in terms of a power outage and they foil a one step reboot.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back