Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
US
When I log into using my Domain Administrator account and change the name of a XP client laptop that is connected to my Active Directory Domain via a wireless router. It accepts the change, but when it reboots it will no longer accept the user name and password of the Domain Administrator and instead says that the user name and password is incorrect (and no user account is able to log in again). What could be going on that is causing this problem?

You could be changing the computer name to something that is already in use. Usually you will get an error message when you try to make that change (saying the account already exists), but if you took it down to a workgroup first for example, then sometimes you won't see the error.

So first and foremost, make sure there are no other workstations using that same name. Now when you changed the computer name, did it prompt you with a network login before it let you change it? Have you seen this on more than one occurrence?

It looks like at this point you'll need to login as a local admin account and try to rejoin the domain under a different computer name.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Sounds like your Domain has Computer based Access as opposed to User based Access.

What that means is that the Domain controller only allows access from predefined computers. Once you change the computer name its no longer in the allowed list and so it gets no access. You would need to rejoin the PC to the domain if that's the case.

It could of course also be that changing the name automatically un-joins the PC from the domain.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back