Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Link and Link Aggregation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAIG2432

Technical User
Jan 23, 2007
GB
Hi there.

I hope you can help with an idea I have.

I have a company with 2 sites about 900m appart. We installed a wireless link in between the 2 of them which has worked without fault. The connection is been maxed out for a lot of the day, so I am looking at increasing the speed with another wiress link. I was going to use the exact same equipment as before with a Dell Powerconnect 2708 switch at each end and them set up Link Aggregation.

Has anyone done anything like this before, or can anyone suggest any pit falls???

Many thanks

1) I have not tried it, but if you do, recall that for 802.11g the only non interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11 in the US. I find that 802.11g point to point gets about 22 Mbps single duplex.

2) What I have done is go to faster wireless communications.

Here is one company's choices from 12 Mbps to 1.25 Gbps in wireless

I have used their Tsunami bridges to get 90 Mbps ( 45 Mbps full duplex) for 50 miles. I expect their other choices to work as well.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

It has been our experience that placing two Canopy radios in the same band near each other, we get interferance.

When colocating like this, I would suggest one pair at 5.7, and the other pair at 5.2.

I agree with the other post, if you can put in a higher bandwidth radio, I would.

I love the Proxims and even have a site running VoIP over them. I'm in total agreement with Jim...supplant the existing with newer technology. Even if you could get a parallel link going, it would be a new task to correctly share the load across the two links.

Make sure you use carrier class radios. Consumer grade and commercial grade (now being called industrial grade) are good but a carrier class radio will have noise mitigating technologies that will help prevent another signal from washing out your signal. You have a solid link now but what will happen when another person puts up a link in the same area and doesn't care about stepping on you. Also, sticking to the A band will make fewer chances of interference as most people are still buying cheaper 2.4 gear. I have used Proxim and it is pretty good. We did have lightning issues. We have had fewer issues with Alvarion. You didn't state how much bandwidth you were trying to get so the recommendations are limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back