Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless laptop to wired desktop connection impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksondorado

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a wifi laptop running windows xp pro. I cannot connect to a wired desktop running XP Pro in the Workgroup. I have no problem connecting to a XP Home machine.
I have added the user from both computers to the other machine and looked extensively on Google for a solution but without success. There are many threads I found of people with the same problem, but no working answer.

I get the error:
"\\desktop is not accessible. You do not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

i forgot to mention that when my laptop is hooked up with a Cat 5 ethernet connection to the workgroup, it can access the desktop files no problem.

Can you ping "desktop" on the WiFi connection? Have you tried \\desktop\c$ to see if you can access a specific share?

I get "request timed out" when I ping.
I also get "the network path was not found" when I try \\desktop\c$

I am admin. I believe it has something to do with the wireless connection because when I connect the laptop with a cable it can acess the desktop no problem. I tried to configure the wireless NIC the same as the wired NIC but still no luck.

I have had the same problem when mapping a network drive on a wireless device using my login name with admin privleges, yet when I connect as Administrator, and use the admin password,I am able to connect.

Is the wireless access point on the same subnet as the other system? That's the first possible problem that jumps to mind.

I assume all computers are wired into the access point/router?

First using the WiFi connection, ping the AP/router. If that works, ping the desktop by IP address. If that works, try pinging desktop by name again. If that doesn't work, verify that the computer has resolved "desktop" to the correct IP.

That line should be the first line after your ping command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back