Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless LAN within different rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noip

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
MU
Sorry if my post is inappropriate here.

I'm trying to setup a 802.11 LAN for PCs found in different rooms of my company. Will the network in fact be reliable? Any experience from someone here? Which is the best solution between a,b and g for my setup?

Thanks

Impossible to tell.

How far between rooms? What AP's are you using? What antenna's? What's in between the rooms structure wise?

Pick a, b or go and stick with it. Best bet is probably g that supports b for future use though, that seems to be the trend.

Setup and run WEP and also do a MAC authentication minimum, or use a RADIUS server.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Metal studs in walls or other wireless devices can hinder 802.11 b/g. If distance is the problem, amplifilers can help.

pc.gif

Jomama

The best way to test the range of a wifi network is setup the Access Point and then get your mobile laptop with a WiFi card and get a program like "Net Stumber" or some other real-time "reception" tracking software... then you just walk around and note where the reception drops out.

- "the wardrivers friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back