Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless / LAN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughejars

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
GB
Hi Everyone
Sorry I've been quiet for a while but I've had few problems lately except for forgetting my Server Admin password, Spent half a day tapping the keyboard til I got it. Anyway I'm babbling....(Write that password down!)
My setup HP compaq DL380 G1 with Windows server 2003 SBS.
My group of PC's a mixture of XP/vista Pro.
Wireless router to connect to the internet and handle the DHCP.
It's not been a major issue, each PC has a lan connected to the server and a wireless connection to the router. If the LAN is plugged in, you can access the Server but you can't access the internet. You have to unplug the LAN cable then explorer or whatever will use the wireless connection.
So is there a way I can get the computers to access my server via the LAN and get explorer to look to the router at the same time without having to unplug the LAN cables?
Please note my server is not connected to the router for security and can only be accessed locally.
Cheers
Phil

I'm studying hard every day, so why is the learning curve appear to be heading downwards?

Lets assume all PCs are hardwired to server with a IP address in 192.168.1.x and no default gateway All PCs are wireless to router via 192.168.101.x with a default gateway of the router's IP Address. (192.168.101.1 perhaps) That should work.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks Jim
Yeah thats what I thought, but dosen't seem to want to know, I've tried all sorts of combinations the Gateway address, IP address and even the ISP's two DNS address, into the wireless lan's properties, but no joy.
Don't wear the grey matter out on it, the network plugs right in front of me.
Cheers
Phil

I'm studying hard every day, so why is the learning curve appear to be heading downwards?

I do this all the time with 2 wired links. not sure about wireless. i think you may have to tell the wireless controller not to try and use the wired link. then make sure the 2 networks are on different subnets and have your wired connection with no dns and no gateway.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Post an ipconfig /all from a workstation and the server, and let's see what you've got.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back