Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless keeps dropping out

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I'm using a laptop with a Belkin Wireless G PCMCIA card. It was OK until about a month ago. Now it only stays up for about 5 minutes and then disconnects. The card is also relatively warm - is this normal? I hardly touch wireless cards when they are working.

This is on a Linux system so no point going to the Belkin site. The drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. All other wireless devices are fine so it is not the router. They are a mix of Ns and Gs.

The machine is in the same room as the router, about 3m away.

Well, since you can't update the driver via the manufacturer's web site, you're stuck there. It could just be that the card is expiring.

Try a bootable Linux CD (TAILS or whatever) and see if it will connect and stay connected in a different operating system. If so, it's NOT the card. Same symptom - replace the card!!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Guess the card has expired - got another card from my pile of cards (got two more) and it works fine. The old card is now in the recycle pile including 4 laptops and 1 desktop which I will take to the tip one day. It is just velleity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back