Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Help... Distance issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmrock

Programmer
Sep 5, 2006
US
Hey everyone,

I have a little workshop on my property that has a office inside. I have a PC in there i would like to connect to my wireless network.

On the main house I have an access point mounted in the attic with a omni directional antenna mounted on the eve.

The computer in the workshop gets a signal, but is very low and sometimes fades in and out.

All the PC in the workshop has is a wireless card with a little extra antenna that can sit on the desktop.. just a cheapo trendnet thing from CompUSA.

What would you all suggest for the 1 pc in the workshop?

Someone told me to try a USB device on the computer as those my get a better signal, but I have never heard that before.

I could go as far as putting an antenna on the outside of the workshop, but would like to know if there is anything easier then climbing though the attic again.

Thanks for your help

Never heard of USB ones having a sronger signal, but as you can extend the cable, you can postion it better.

Peronally I'd go for the external ariel on the workshop.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

One word - Ruckus

We are a wireless ISP and for our customers on the fringe of our signal, we offer the Ruckus M2211. The things are awesome. They have a built in multi polarity antenna that can connect to weaker signals and rebroadcast them there for extending the range dramatically.

Trust me, they ROCK!

Scott "Thrown to the Wolves" McNeil

Thanks scott, Where on the website is the M2211?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back