Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlee

Technical User
Jul 15, 2005
I have a wireless network in my house but the signal isn't very good when i go to the end of the house. so i was wondering as i don't have any cat5 cables in that part of the house could i get another access point and extend the coverage area using bridging or something.
i currently use a d-link dwl 2000ap+

any thoughts on this would be great cos it will stop the constant nagging i get from the wife about the situation.

many many thanks for your help

a desperate man (lol)

lee

You can purcase another AP and use WDS to create a bridged solution.

thanks for the reply itd17

but what is WDS

thanks

Haven't used the DWL-2000AP+, but have a couple of DWL-900AP+. The first one is configured as a basic AP and is attached to the wired network/router. Second one is positioned halfway between the first one and the "dead zone", and is configured as a repeater. Check the mode section of your AP.

Bridge mode is fine for joining networks together, but won't allow WiFi clients to access. A WiFi equipped PC will be able to choose which offers the better signal - your main AP or the repeater.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

WDS-Wireless Distribution System, is a feature that allows you to extend your wireless network via repeating or bridging.

You'll be able to use the GUI on the DLINK's to set this up and you'll need the MAC addresses of the units to allow them to 'speak' to each other. It's an easy setup.

Thanks alot itd17

setup it up and works a treat

many thanks

lee

hey guys is there a way that i can use a wireless router for example the d-link di-624 as a wireless access point or as a repeater? to put it this way: my neighbour has a router (same as above) and he has a broadband connection that he is wiling to share with me. I aso have the same router but can i configure it to get an internet connetion from the other router so that i don;t have to buy another AP?

Tony
AP CompuServices
MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back