Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless control

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRPGroup

MIS
Jun 22, 2005
CA
We have some Dell D810 and I would like to know if there is a way either through scripts or GPO to turn off wireless while in the office connected to our corporate LAN but allow the wireless card to work while off our network.
And to find a way that has little or now user intervention.

Any suggestions.

Sorry wasn't sure if there was a GPO or other Windows setting that would do this.

Not sure this is the right forum but its the same topic.

I am struggling with how the capabilityes of wireless on a laptop in adhoc mode.

What we are trying to accomplish.
We have several laptops that staff using while out of the office. They typically are at clients sites in groups of 2-4 staff. The groups are not always same members.

We would like to setup a common network on these laptops that will require little user intervention. So that when they are out of the office they can easily connect to each other.

Can someone give me some insite into this or direction on where to find out more.

I would suggest you provide one member on a team with a wireless router and configure all corporate laptops to connect to this device automatically in Infrastructure mode using WEP-PSK. You will ensure a secure connection this way and no need for the users to configure anything. Furthermore if your client allows it could be plugged into the client LAN for shared Internet access. You can get such a device for as little as $50 these days.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I was hoping to find a way to use just the wireless cards on the laptops. Hauling a access point is not much better than taking a standard hub and a few cables which would be more reliable anyways.

You can do it that way, but if you are looking to take the users out of the equation then be prepared to set it all up before they leave to the customer location. Seems like that would be a nightmare to me.

Regards,

Mark

I am also having some issues setting up an ad-hoc network, I have never really worked with wireless before and I dont quite understand what is going on. So I create a adhoc network on one laptop but nothing happens unless I connect to the network I just created on the same laptop. This is the part that doesnt make much sense. The way I thought it would work was just create the network and all other laptops could join. I just don't get why the computer with the adhoc network has to connect to itself inorder for anyone else to connect. Thanks for any help.

Kyle

Hence the suggestion for the hardware. I just purchased a D-Link pocket router that is smaller than a deck of cards. Not a big deal to carry around, that is for sure.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back