Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Connection not working after installing Novell Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

niranjansoni

Programmer
Apr 8, 2005
GB
Hi All

I am a new member of this forum. I am facing a very strange problem. I have a Dell D600 laptop on which i use Netgear Wireless USB Adapter to connect it to NETGEAR router i have setup at my home. This configuration has been working fine for last couple of months.

But Couple of days back, i was required to install Novell Client for Windows. Since that installation the wireless connection is not working from my laptop anymore. I have tried reinstalling the Wireless USB Adapter software but it didnt solve the problem. Whenever i connect the USB Adapter to my laptop for a brief period (only few seconds) i can see a successful connection after which the connection is terminated.

The light on the USB Adapter keeps on blinking as if its trying to connect to a wireless network but nothing happens. Can any body please help me with this problem? This is very urgent for me.

Thanks a lot
Niranjan

niranjansoni,

What version of Novell's Client 32 are you using? If it is for XP (the latest one is v4.90SP2e) then a default install makes it the primary logon and adds NMAS and/or NICI.

Try opening the Novell Client's properties and changing the 'Initial Logon' value from 'On' to 'Off' in 'Advanced Login'. This way the laptop will log on to Windows and use Windows networking first. (You can automate this logon by using the 'TweakUI XP' powertoy.)

If you need to logon using Novell, you can then choose 'Start > Programs > Novell (Common) > Novell login' or put a shortcut in your startup folder.

Also, un-install NMAS (and NICI, if installed) using Add/Remove Programs as this delays startup by up to 30 seconds as your laptop searches in vain for an NMAS authentication server. Note that un-installing NMAS doesn't stop this behaviour. Whilst in the the Novell Client properties, you need to change 'NMAS authentication' from 'On' to 'Off' (Advanced Settings).

Hope this helps...

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back