Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless connection good but browser not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

porabai

Programmer
Jan 24, 2003
CA
Hello All,

I am able to view streaming videos and my laptop is updating all security/virus updates but not connecting to browser(ie & safari).

i tried all possible ways looking at network connections, tcp/ip protocol properties and also the router settings under dhcp which shows the mac address of the laptop but still i am not able to connect to browser which still displays page not displayed message. I even rebooted my tp link router as well as the dsl modem
please advise and appreciate your help in advance.

thank you
Sean

Sounds like a dns problem. Check if there you laptop got a dns adress from you're dhcp server by doining to following:

- start -> run
- type cmd after that click ok
- you'll get a black box thingie. here you type ipconfig /all
- and hit enter

now you'll get a list with several ip adresses. One of these is name dns.
If there is none you should check you're dhcp
if there is do the following in the black box thingie.

- type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
replace the x's with the ip adres you found earlier in the list. example: ping 34.124.421.43

if you don't get a reply the dns server is down or faulty. If you do get a reply there is a problem on the dns server itself. But in but case i think you have to contact you ISP.

good luck

Thank you Silverblade for the suggestions. I am able to ping and ipconfig/all gives all complete info as far as dhcp/dns parameters are concerned. My other laptop is able to connect to internet without any issues. If the dns server is down or faulty my desktop and other laptop shouldn't connect to internet. I even reloaded Windows XP by repair option and also resetted the IE browser to original settings.

I also tried Safari browser but still not able to browse web sites.

Thank you
Sean

Out of curiosity, have you checked your firewall settings? Have you added any new software/hardware drivers just before this started happening? Or and Windows Updates for that matter? Last but not least, have you checked your system for spyware just to be sure?

Americanmcneil
Network+

Now: Area Network Coordinator
Then: Wireless Network Engineer/Integrator

Hello AmericanMcneil,

I tried with firewall off settings but still no avail. I downloaded the easycleaner and cccleaner and resetted the internet settings to original and rebooted the laptop. internet opened that time and i logged off. when turned on next day its back to square one situation. i even ran malaware spy software but didn't find any.

I actually ran the driver genius software to see any updates for the hardware and in the process ran the wireless card software and since that time i got into this problem. I even uninstalled the wireless software and tried to reload the original. Infact the internet is connecting as i have media player which plays programs from internet and i am able to watch programs, avast anti virus program gets updated and windows xp updates are also going on smoothly but for internet browsing.

thank you
Sean

i think you can forget about the hardware, doesn't sound that the problem is there.
I'm not kind of a software guy and so don't know if there can be a simple solution for this.
One thing i can suggest is reinstalling the system from scratch (so beginning with windows, no repair but really reinstall)

Hope you'll work it out. Good luck

Look at Internet Options-->connections-->LAN Settings
ensure no proxy server settings
Check for firewall and if one (even the windows xp default one) shut them off and see if browsing works.
You could also put the problem computer into the router DMZ for a test.

Could you try an ip reset followed by a cold boot?
netsh int ip reset c:\ipreset.log

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back