Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless connection drops out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulreg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
GB
My desktop PC connects to the web via the wireless router at startup but after about 3 minutes I find I cannot browse the web. I have had several laptops connected over the last few months to this router and my Blackberry, my sons DS etc.
None of these exhibited this problem. Is something starting after 3 minutes and cutting me off ? If so what ? I don't think its Windows Zero Configuration as with this disabled, the wireless won't connect at all. Thanks.

could be, have you checked what processes and msconfig for startup applications? run malwarebytes,run hijackthis and look at what is running in the computer. Can you still ping the router when the internet doesn't work? If so have you tried resetting the browser to defaults. Try setting a static ip on the wireless card, and uncheck let windows turn this device off to save power in the device properties. Also check to see if it is looking for a proxy or something else is trying to hijack the the connection. And finally try to find out what chip the router and your card are using and see if there is a problem there, some chips don't work well with each other.

Thanks for the posts.
Nothing obvious in msconfig. I don't think this is a virus as I have only just built the PC and I have never had a chance to browse the web. I can't ping the router once the internet does not work so I don't think this is a browser settings issue. Powersave mode is disabled. Static address makes no difference.
Nic is Netgear MA311. Router is a Buffalo Airstation.
Safe Mode with networking support drops wireless connection in the same manner as normal mode.

What firewalling are you using in the XP Desktop?

Are there any updated driver for the Wireless Network Card? If no, is there an older driver for it you can roll back to? Just the mere fact that you remove the current driver and then reinstall it may get things going.

HOW TO: Use the Driver Roll Back Feature to Restore a Previous Version of a Device Driver in Windows XP

Is Windows or third party OEM software managing your wireless connection?

Another thought - could simply be the wireless network card is failing. Those things do get very hot, so at some point it could be overheating. That in a way would match up well to being about the same time after boot-up that it occurs - gives it just enough time to get really hot, and then possibly messing up some of the soldered connections. You could try another adapter and see if that fixes the issue.

Another thought is wireless interference. It could be that you now have more interference than you did before, and that you don't have enough activity going across the wireless connection until about 3 minutes for whatever reason for the interference to matter. However, if it's always 3 minutes, regardless, I'm going with a hardware failure of the network adapter on this one.

I also noticed your adapter there is a Wireless B adapter, according to the Amazon listing. So, in this case it could also simply be that the Wireless B signal isn't being held strong enough with other wireless devices around. Regardless, upgrading to ANY wireless adapter you can find on the market right now will be better. I doubt you can find a "new" wireless B adapter anymore, at a store. You probably can on eBay, but not an online or brick and mortar store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back