Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless connection dropping in and out

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmunster123

Technical User
May 22, 2012
US
For the last week I'm having problems with my wireless connection. I get my wireless off of my dads computer in the next room. One second I'll get a message that says "unable to connect to preferred wireless network" and my internet won't work then if I wait a minute it will go back up again, about ten minutes later it will disconnect completely and I'll have to right click in my system tray and do a "repair" for it to work. Usually though if I wait it will come back up. This has been getting worse over the last few days. I have a wirelss usb modem, it's cheap but it's always worked. I also have an old Linskys router laying around somewhere, should I use that?

Your terminology is confusing the question. Do you mean "I get my wireless off of my dads ROUTER in the next room."?

Do you mean "I have a wirelss usb NETWORK CARD"?
In order - troubleshooting:
What is the signal strength when connected?
Have you updated the driver for the wireless network card?
Have you update the router firmware to the latest?
Can you move the router a little higher in your Dad's room?
Can you get an USB extension to put your USB adapter higher up on the wall?

If you could run a wire from the next room, that is always the best solution.
Using another router? What were you thinking?? If you create a wireless bridge between the two routers, it still needs to have good signal strength to work AND it takes 1/2 of your wireless bandwidth to keep the communication going.

Do you mean "I have a wirelss usb NETWORK CARD"?
yes
In order - troubleshooting:

What is the signal strength when connected?
3 bars out of five, good

Have you updated the driver for the wireless network card?
Not sure I can, it's an SMC ez connect, it's cheap

Have you update the router firmware to the latest?
I can't mess with my dad's computer

Can you move the router a little higher in your Dad's room?
no
Can you get an USB extension to put your USB adapter higher up on the wall?

yes

If you could run a wire from the next room, that is always the best solution.
can't do that

Using another router? What were you thinking?? If you create a wireless bridge between the two routers, it still needs to have good signal strength to work AND it takes 1/2 of your wireless bandwidth to keep the communication going.
I was just wondering what else might work, I don't know anything about routers

Three bars is not bad at all, so it's probably not a distance problem. So, here's the situation. If you can't mess with your Dad's router, we're kind of limited in terms of getting the firmware updated. See if he'll do it or get a professional to come out and do it. Another thing to check for is if the wireless channel on the router is set to the same as neighbor routers using something like this:

Give us the exact model adapter you have and we'll see if there is an update. Then, you could get a USB extender though I really would get the router firmware updated. It solves a lot of connection issues. What is the brand/model/version of the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back