Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless computer can't access network share on boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyranoses

Programmer
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have recently added a wireless card to one of my home network computers. When the computer boots up it is suppose to add a network drive to windows explorer but since going wireless I get an error message saying the drive cannot be found. Before going wireless I would be asked for two logins at bootup. First I would have to log in to the computer. Then I would have to log in to the computer containing the network drive. The logins would come back to back. I have done the following.
1. Set the wireless drivers to load at startup in scheduled tasks.
2. In active directory, I gave the wireless computer dial in permissions on the dial in tab.

With the wireless computer, the network connections seems to load in dead last. Apparently my computer is trying to load the network drive before a network connection is made. Once the connection is made, I can browse to the other computer, type in the password and access the drive.

My questions.
How does bootup order with wireless differ from the wired computers?
Am I missing some permissions in active directory that prevents the logins?
How can I fix my problem?

Quick question, is it XP home or Pro on the comp that you are tring to access the network with?

Goner05

Both machines win 2000 server. The non wireless machine is a domain controller.

I'm a little confused as to why the second login to the network share.

Right now I'll assume that it is because the user that you log on with does not have permissions to access this drive. If it is something that you are always needing then you should change the permissions to allow the user to log onto the shared drive. Would save the "2 logins".

Our second server, which is wireless, had this issue before I ran dcpromo and added as a secondary DC. Now it automatically runs the "preparing network connections" before you get to the logon screen.

My 2 cents

Goner05

Surely I don't have to make a computer a domain controller just to get a wireless computer onto the network?

I read up a little on GPO and tried writing a policy to allow asynchronous logon and startup. They were the only options in the article you gave me that seemed applicable to my situation. This GPO did not solve my problem. I need something that will tell my computer to prepare the network connections before logon when i boot up. I see that you can write a script and have it run at bootup using a GPO but that is really out of my league.

I am still looking for ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back