Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless card not connecting all of a sudden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrq35

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
US
Folks,

i have an XP home machine with Dlink DWL-520 wireless PCI card. it has been working fine for a couple of years. yesterday, it stopped connecting. the signal strength is very strong, but it is unable to get an IP address from the router. i have other wirless laptops/PCs connected to same router so the router appear ok. it is WEP enabled and i retyped the WEP key just in case. no luck.

no new software was installed the past few days, and i checked for viruses (spybot and lavasoft).

any suggustions? thanks in advance.

Check to see if the DHCP service is still running on the access point as the others lease might not have expired yet. Also check to make sure you have the wireless card on the problem machine set to obtain it's ip information automatically.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

Thanks for the reply. ireleased/renewed on the router and DHCP worked fine for the other machine after that. the card is set to DHCP.

so i gave up and called Dlink. this is a 3-4 yrs old hardware. waited a while. eventually the guy had me switch to static IP and that solved the problem. am not sure why the card stopped being able to pull an IP, but i have MAC filtering so it is ok. i guess.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back