Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless card in W2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takis

Instructor
Oct 12, 2001
GR
I ve just installed a wireless wg311ge net card in my w2k3 server.
The machine has also a realteck net card connected to an ADSL router that gives internet ok.
All hardware properly installed with no problem.

What i m trying to do is to bridge the 2 nics so that other pcs in my small network could access wireless the internet.

Could someone help me please with the settings i might give to the 2 nics so that this could be done?

How can i setup a small wireless network based on my W2k3 server. I dont mind if this is an ad hoc or an infastructure.

Thank you all

also active directory is setup in the w2k3 machine and seems that has no problem.

That wireless card is used to connect to a wireless access point and not for wireless clients to connect to it, you're going the wrong way down a one way street.

Is this an office or home network?

If this for home (or a very small office) and you want to connect to the internet via wireless your best solution would be to connect your adsl to a wireless router (with lan ports) and then connect your server directly to a lan port.

If this is for an office then look at installing wireless access points connected via cat5 to your switch.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

If i understand you are saying that to connect 2 pcs among them wireless i need a wireless hub or wireless router? Is that right?

Thats correct, the card you have is only used for receiving signal and not for use as an access point.

I still dont understand the meaning of an ad-hoc wireless net. I suppose that with that net you can connect 2 pcs such as a crossover cable in 802.3 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back