Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless building to building? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prakis

Technical User
Oct 5, 2007
US
I've got an existing wireless network in building A. A netgear wireless router linking with 3 wireless desktops. All is good there.

I want to take the ethernet signal wireless to another building across an empty lot. Has good LOS but no windows. So I have directional antennas for both ends ready to go.

I think my setup needs to look like this. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong:

Internet--> wired-->netgear router--> wireless-->WAP54G--> wireless to building B-->WAP54G-->wireless to computers

Questions are:
1. Do I need to connect a cable between the WAP54G in Building A to the netgear router or can I do that wireless?
2. What mode do the two WAP54's need to be in? AP, AP client, bridge, or repeater.
3. Do I have to hardwire a switch or something into the WAP54G in building B?

I've tried a few things already but have had no luck. So I'm starting over at the beginning. Thanks for any help :)

Your 1st WAP54G in building A must be connected to the router via Ethernet cable, else you have NO connection.

If you are only using the WAP54G to wirelessly connect to building B then you would use the "repeater" mode for both WAP54Gs. In building B, connect the Ethernet port on the WAP54G to the Workstation's Ethernet port.

If you have more than one computer in building B, then you will need a data switch to connect them.

If you have the ability to access or run a CAT5E or CAT6 cable between the buildings, that would be the best choice, because you would not need any WAPs at all, and the machines would be able to take advantage of the full 100/1000 BaseT path capabilty, if so equipped.

Have you read the WAP54G user guide? I believe most of this info is covered in it.

Review the info above and the user guide, then try the arrangement that is appropriate for your situation. If it still does not work, post back to the forum with your results and we will evaluate your info and make more suggestions.

Happy reading!

....JIM....

The weak link in my scenario was thinking I could go wireless between the router and the WAP54G. The manual didn't say specifically (at least I don't think so) that they had to be hardwired together so I was thinking it would work wireless. Guess not :)

No switch needed in building B either. It's mostly for manufacturing and will only have the occasional laptop with wireless connection over there. And I wish I could just bury some cat5 between the buildings but the empty lot is going to be dug up soon.

Thanks for the very easy to understand answer. Sometimes it's the simplest things that get ya ;)

Your very welcome, Prakis.

So far to my knowledge Linksys has not added the repeater function the the wireless routers, and in a way I can understand why. The wireless can't function as both a Access Point and Repeater at the same time. Having all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea anyway.

But you never know what Cisco may come up with next.

....JIM....

How is your setup coming along? How far apart are the buildings? What are the environmental conditions?
You can use another router to act as an access point. Here are some options for you to consider:

Outdoor Access Point & Router:
Wireless Building to Building Bridge:

Here is a link to more industrial wireless products:

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer
ICP DAS USA, Inc.

Ok, got it working. But I have a new dilemma.

The WAP in building B is set up with an outdoor directional antenna. It's mounted to the outside of the metal siding. The antenna cable is then run back into the building and attached to the WAP.

The problem I have is retransmission of the wireless signal inside the building. Outside, standing in front of the antenna I get an excellent rating on signal strength. Inside the building (basically behind the antenna and on the opposite side of a metal wall) I get a fair rating. And this is with my laptop setting about 2 ft. from the WAP.

I believe this is because the WAP is sending/receiving all signals through the directional antenna. Nothing is being transmitted from the smaller antenna on the WAP. If I understand the diversity setting on the WAP correctly it will pick the antenna with the better signal and use that.

If this is the case do I need to fix it with a omni directional antenna? or maybe hook another router into the LAN port on the WAP for the interior of building B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back