Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless bridging - solution ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jase25

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I've currently got 2 buildings about 15-20 metres apart. The main building has a fully wired network, the additional building has no network and about 4 machines (3 PCs, 1 Apple Mac). I'm trying to put a solution in place to add this additional building onto the wired network. The way I'm thinking is a wireless bridge across to the additional building, then a small hub to connect the machines (as wireless isn't really an alternative with the apple). The questions I have are: -

a)If you purchase a wireless bridge, I assume this sits at one end of the link, if so what sits at the other end of the link?

b)Is it possible the have a wired hub in the additional building, if so how and what does it connect to?

Also, any recommended products would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Jason

Wireless bridges are installed in pairs. One will sit in building one and the other in building two. They bridge between the two networks.

You connect a hub to the ethernet rj45 port of the bridge.

There are a few rules

1) use the same vendor kit at both ends.
2) Buy one with good security rather than mere WEP 56-bit.
3) Ensure there is good line of sight between the bridges.
4) Make sure vehicles will not interrupt the signal.
5) Get a proper wireless survey done

Many G4 Apple Macs will take an airport card or even a USB Wireless adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back