Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Bridge and a 2600 Question - Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

croag

MIS
Nov 8, 2001
US
Our network admin is no longer with our company and I have been tasked looking into connecting our 2 small locations over a wireless bridge. Since the network engineer left mid project, the wireless bridge has already been purchased. It is a Proxim Quickbridge 60. Here is how we believe it will connect.

Site A:
1 - Cisco 2610 w/ T1-DSU-WIC (pulled from a 1600)
1 - Proxim Quickbridge 60

Site B:
1 - Cisco 2610 w/ T1-DSU-WIC (pulled from a 1600)
1 - Proxim Quickbridge 60

Once both bridges are connected to the router's DSU WIC, will we just route the two connections regularly? Will we have do anything 'special' to get these 2 sites to talk to each other correctly? Since the proxim units are bridges the DSU is required..Correct?

Thanks very much in advance and please ask anyquestions that you may have.

Thanks!
Croag

I don't really have any experience with that bridge, but I can't imagine it does encapsulation that would require the T1-DSU-WIC, as a matter of fact I'm at the sales site for Proxim and it specifcaly says that the interface is 10/100 Ehternet.

There is a quickbridge 20 that appears to do T1 emulation, and for that product you would need the WIC cards. If I'm looking at this correctly though you could pretty much take the bridge and plug it into a switch at each end and it would work just fine, other than that you would need an ethernet router.

Honestly, you're probably going to have to call the manufacturer and see if that thing is emulating a T1, I don't think it is though. What's the exact part number?

Wow,

Thanks for your reply! The part number is 48001-004. So,...I think we're going to be forced to use that T1DSU card. Do you forsee any problems there? Thanks so much for your response!!

Yeah, that part will not work with the T1DSU, according tot he datasheet. The spec says the 004 is ethernet, 802.3 which is CDMA, unless you really need to route between these sites because you've run out of IP space for hosts or you worried about broadcasts, I would suggest just plugging each end of the bridge into a switch and leave them on the sma elogical network.

The 004 part just won't work with a t1 WIC, which is for an encapsulated T1 signal - it won't talk ethernet.

There is a proxim bridge that does T1/E1 (I guess you'd want to use something like this to act as a "vina box" or something, so you could emulate 1fb's for phone service) but that is a different bridge all together. Forget the T1 wics, if you have to route this get a layer 3 switch or a couple of 1700 series routers with 2 ethernet interfaces. You could get creative and still route with your current equipment, but I wouldn't suggest it unless money is tight.

I've got an aironet 1310g bridge configured switch to switch, and it's functioning just fine so far, the link is really solid so unless you've got a bunch of cash or time, plug each end into a switch and just let it do it's business!

Good luck!

p.s. A quick way to test if you have the bridge in front of you is just plug the power injector into a switch or hub and see if you get lights, if you do then you can rest assured the T1-DSU-WIC isn't going to work with that device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back