Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless AP/Bridge question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudman

MIS
Jan 9, 2002
US
Is a wireless Access Point or Bridge considered as a PC or a switch/hub in the 5-4-3 rule or does that rule not apply? My scenario: I have a 24 port switch (1) that connects to a Cisco wireless BR350 bridge in one building. The bridge connects to another BR350 bridge across the street (connection is great). This bridge is connected to another switch (2) with 2 PCs and is also uplinked (CAT5) to another switch (3) in another building near it (connection great). This 3rd switch has 1 PC connected to it and is uplinked (CAT5) to another switch (4) at the other end of the building. The last switch (4) has several PCs connected to it. Those PCs attached to the last switch (4) have a really bad connection with lots of drops. Before I set this up I posted what I wanted to do on another forum and was told it would work since I was using switches instead of hubs. I guess not. What I would like to do now is hook up a Wireless Access Point on the 3rd switch to connect the PCs on that are currently on the last switch (4) and eliminate the 4th switch altogether. Would this not work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would have to wonder how long the length of Cat5 is to the fourth group of computers or if there is a problem with the switch.

If the problem exists between the third and fourth group of computers using an access point to connect the fourth group will not help (in fact it will probably cut down on speed).

The CAT5 from the 3rd switch to the 4th is approximately 130-140'. I know I was pushing the distance a little, that's why I was wondering if the access point would work if it is indeed a cable issue more than a switch issue.

To answer your first question, a wireless access is considered a HUB. A wireless bridge is just that, a bridge.

The 5-4-3 rule only applies when devices are in the same collision domain (hubs and repeaters). When you add a bridge or a switch you create multiple collision domains basically eliminating the 5-4-3 rule.

I would check the cabling and the integrity of the switch.

Yes the access point should work for your scenario. Of course, that would still be determined by what lies between the access point and the PC's. As long as you can get the signal there, it should work.

I'm going with wookalar here. I would be concentrating on the switch and the cable. If the cable run is only 130-140' you should be fine.

Did you make the cable? If so, I would be looking at recrimping both ends (just to make sure).

My concern using an access point for delivery to fourth computer group is the bandwidth will be much less than you would get with Cat5.

Thanks for the input newisp and wookalar, I think you're right. I'll try another switch that I have and check the cable and ends first. If it still doesn't reslove my problem I'll look at the access point and wireless NICs.

Thanks for the input newisp and wookalar, I think you're right. I'll try another switch that I have and check the cable and ends first. If it still doesn't reslove my problem I'll look at the access point and wireless NICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back