Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless and Wired to same router-home network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildHare

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
Hope this is an easy one. I have a Netgear router which is connected to my cable modem. My PC is cabled to the router, and two other PCs in the house are wireless connected to it. All is fine. But I want to set up some shared folders on the other PCs, and let them use my printer, et cetera.

I set up a shared folder on one of the other PCs and went through the process of setting a workgroup and so on - the folder is marked as shareable, etc.

On MY PC, what do I need to do to be able to see this folder? I can't browse the workgroup, even after joining, so I'm missing something.

XP, Service Pack 2 on all PCs.
I'm thinking I may need to make some adjustment to the router? Does it not support a 'hub' like configuration?

(Netgear WGR614 V4)

Thanks much in advance

--------------------------------------
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman
More Access Help:

Check out these two links. They are very helpful and easy to follow guides for getting your shares set up. If any of the computers are XP Home you will probably want to stick with the first link as you can't disable Simple File Sharing in XP Home. If they are all XP Pro, you may want to look at the second link as you will have greater flexibility of setting up access control and permissions.

- XP Simple File Sharing

- XP Pro File Sharing (Simple File Sharing Disabled)

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Also ensure that if you have a software firewall installed on your PCs, that this is not causing communication issues.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Success! It was a combination of the Windows Firewall on the wireless PC, and the AVG suite firewall on my PC itself - I turned off WF, and configured AVG to allow File & Printer sharing and now all appears well.

Thanks much!

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman
More Access Help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back